Posted by Tia Patel | APR-13-2021
Homeopathy for Pain Relief
by Tia Patel on Apr 13, 2021
Homeopathy for Pain Relief
It’s World Homeopathy Awareness Week! It’s thought that Over 200 million people around the world use homeopathy to treat all sorts of conditions from headaches to stress to low energy. But what actually is homeopathy, how does it work and is homeopathy the answer to relieving pain?
What is homeopathy
Homeopathy is a natural form of medicine used to treat both acute and chronic conditions. It is based on the principle of ‘like cures like’. So a substance taken in small amounts will cure the same symptoms it causes if taken in large amounts. For example, someone suffering from hayfever may benefit from the remedy Allium Cepa (onion) because it produces similar symptoms such as watery eyes and runny nose.
How does homeopathy work?
Homeopathic remedies are made from substances designed to help stimulate the body's healing ability. Homeopaths will take time to understand you as a person, discussing your lifestyle and medical history as well as the symptoms you're experiencing and how they are affecting you. A homeopath will then prescribe the appropriate medication, made from small amounts of natural substances such as plants and minerals.
Homeopathy for pain relief
Here are some of the most commonly used homeopathic pain remedies:
- Arnica. This is a herbal remedy used since the 1500s to soothe aching muscles and heal wounds. Lichtenstein says that it is good for sprains and bruises.
- Bryonia alba is for pain that feels like a sticking, cutting, or tearing sensation when you’re in motion, especially in joints or muscles.
- Guaiacum is for achy, swollen, stiff joints that feel worse with pressure, often for pain in the head, face, or neck.
- Hypericum, also known as St. John’s wort, may be recommended for “shooting” pain, such as for injuries that involve nerve damage.
- Ledum may be taken for conditions that affect the joints, such as swollen or cold joints, or pain that gets worse when the body is in motion.
Rhus toxicodendron is made from poison ivy. This remedy is recommended for back pain, arthritis, and any pain that is worse in the morning and gets better with motion and heat. Heat opens up the blood vessels, thereby increasing blood flow to the affected area and bringing with it oxygen and nutrients needed for repair to relieve pain and stiffness. It's recommended to heat an injured area 4 times a day for no longer than 20-minute each time.
Homeopathy has been practiced worldwide for over 250 years. It is a gentle form of natural medication and rarely causes side effects. Which means it is suitable for adults, children and pregnant or breastfeeding women. However, we recommend consulting a qualified/registered Homeopath for a deeper understanding in treating your symptoms.